Friday, August 1, 2008

Grace in the Valley

I am aware of grace in the valley. Here are some examples:


  • I spent all Saturday taking care of Little Carolyn. When I learned that Mom had left us, there was a certain emptiness. But thoughts of my little granddaughter and the good day we had just shared, these thoughts were a balm to my soul. And I knew that Mom would be pleased that it was so.

  • Early Sunday morning, as the news is still settling in, I didn't have the good sense to allow enough time to get to the airport. As I argued and insisted that I could drive myself, EB gathered LMC and ordered me to the car. As it was, I had to run to the gate to make the plane. On my own, I would certainly have watched the plane take off as I parked the car.

  • On Monday, Mom's birthday, EB had a doctor appointment which included an ultrasound of the tiniest Irving. What nice timing!

  • I was not surprised that all the grandchildren wanted to come and were able. I did not expect a son-in-law who just started a new job. Uncle Bry was helpful guiding LMC around the cemetery nearby during the service.

  • Who would have planned a hymn sing after a graveside service? For me, this was a time to sing the things we know are true, as well as to laugh and have fun together.

  • I was amazed when I returned at the number of sympathy cards I'd received. I didn't know anyone even sent them anymore. I also didn't realize how touched I would be by people's kind words. (I think I'll start sending sympathy cards now!)

No comments: